Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Half a sec...

We were gathered around the kitchen table as a family, playing a game called Articulate. The objective of the game is to describe as many words as possible to your team members before the 30 second timer runs out.

The words are printed on cards that you pull from a pack. It's a bit like Trivial Pursuits. The words fall into six categories: object, nature, action, world, person and random, so they are mainly proper nouns.

As my daughter was quite young, we were giving her a few hints to help things along. You will understand the need for this when I tell you that one of the words that came up was: "secretary bird".

At six years old, my daughter probably had little idea of what a secretarial job involved, let alone knowing about secretary birds.

I should have begun with defining this word as 'a flapping animal'. That might have made things simpler. Instead, I began by the secretary part...

"Every boss has one of these..." I said, optimistically.

She looked at me blankly. Seconds passed... She shook her head, time was running out.

I started to hint: "Okay, it's a sec... a sec..."

She looked up brightly. "A second wife?"

3 comments:

Lucy said...

That's remarkable and very funny; worldliness takes on ever-changing forms...

Good to have you back here, I'll put this one back on the feed and take off Icebus!

Rouchswalwe said...

Happy New Year with smiles!
Glad you're back. I'll change the address and link on my bloglist!

Jonathan Wonham said...

Happy New Year and thanks to both of you.